Frequently Asked Questions related to Sexuality and Gender Diversity at

The University of Kansas


Are sexual orientation and gender identity included in the non-discrimination policy?

Yes, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression are included in KU’s non-discrimination policy. See the policy here.
In addition, the city of Lawrence also includes sexual orientation in its non-discrimination policy:

Does KU provide gender-neutral/single occupancy restroom facilities in administrative and academic buildings?

Yes, but they are limited. There is currently a task-force working to assess the number of single-use/gender-neutral restrooms on campus and implement changes. Visit for maps and more information.

Are there active LGBTQIA+ student organizations on the KU campus?

Yes, there are four registered LGBTQIA+ student organizations on campus. Spectrum KU is a student organization that has existed on KU’s campus for over 40 years. Delta Lambda Phi is KU’s gay, bisexual, and progressive men’s fraternity. OUTlaws & Allies is a support group in the School of Law for LGBTQ and allied individuals. Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM) is a national society dedicated to educating and fostering leadership for LGBTQA communities in the STEM fields.

Is there a campus office for LGBTQIA+ students?

Yes. You are here! The Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity is a clearinghouse of information regarding issues affecting the gender and/or sexuality minority community (LGBTQIA+) — as well as our straight friends, family members and allies. "The Center" provides information about organizations and support services on campus, locally and nationally, information about news and upcoming events, educational and awareness programming, outreach and advocacy, and individual peer counseling.

Does KU have a full-time professional staff member who is employed to support LGBTQIA+ students and staff?

Yes, the Assistant Director for Sexuality and Gender Diversity. This individual is located in the Student Involvement & Leadership Center, KS Union, Rm 400.

Are there LGBTQIA+ sensitive counseling services available?

Yes, the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Office provides affirming and sensitive individual counseling to members of the LGBTQIA+ community (request an LGBTQIA-friendly counselor).

Are there activities and programs offered on campus that specifically address LGBTQIA+ issues?

Yes. The Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity, The Emily Taylor Center for Women & Gender Equity, Spectrum KU, and the Office of Multicultural Affairs offer regular LGBTQIA+ programming and events.

Is there a procedure for reporting LGBTQIA+ related discrimination?

Yes, since sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression are included in KU’s non-discrimination policy, incidents should be reported to KU’s Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access. To file a complaint of discrimination, visit:

What If I or a friend has been a victim of sexual harassment, sexual violence, or sexual assault?

The University of Kansas is committed to preventing, correcting, and disciplining incidents of unlawful harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual assault. For more information or resources for help visit: and

Programs & Services
Greek Life buttonLeadershipNon-Traditions Students buttonSexuality and Gender Diversity buttonDanforth Chapel buttonOptional Student Fees buttonEvents buttonScholarships buttonRegister an Organization buttonStudent Organization Directory
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today